About the Department
The Department of Physics, SRM IST, Ramapuram campus was established in the year 2004. The department offer the following subjects for B.Tech.
- Basic Physical Science courses with laboratory for all branches of B.Tech programme in I & II semester.
- Open Elective courses for higher semester B.Tech programme.
- Ph.D Programme.
- Engineering Physics course with laboratory for B.Tech-lateral entry students.
Vision of the Department
- Focus on the thrust areas of Physics and Materials Science towards the Growth of Engineering Profession, maintaining highest ethical and professional standards.
- To expand investigational dexterity & ability of students towards practical knowledge in Physics.
- To produce consistent results in every academic year and to assist students to understand the fundamental concepts in Physics.
Mission of the Department
Achieving academic autonomy and creating a system that continuously moves towards academic excellence. Increase R&D output to reach the goal in the frontier areas of Physics.
Unique Features of the Department
- Excellence in research and teaching has been the hallmark of the Physics department at the Ramapuram campus ever since its inception.
- Highly qualified and dedicated faculty members are the backbone of the Department.
- The department has three research projects funded by DST-Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Government of India and two projects funded by SRM IST to the tune of more than 80 Lakhs.
- There are three research laboratories in the department- Crystal Growth, Multiferroics and Computational Physics Laboratory.
- Faculty Members have published 80 papers in SCI/SCOPUS Indexed Journals in the last 3 years.
- Department offers Ph.D programme and research scholars are actively involved in research under ten recognized Ph.D supervisors.
- Faculty members relentlessly modernize their knowledge by pursuing online courses.
- Organized 8 National Conferences on Hierarchically Structured Materials funded by Government Funding Agencies like DRDO, BRNS, CSIR, DST-SERB, DBT and Science City, Tamilnadu.
- Organized 7 National Workshops on Materials Characterization Techniques, Renewable Energy Resources funded by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India and Workshop on Indian Nuclear Programme in association with IGCAR, Kalpakkam.